27 January 2008

Sunday and it is time to hear from our Tricia from across the pond.

Well, not much to report from this side of the pond. All is quiet. My house on the other hand has not been so. On Wednesday morning, I was doing my "morning stuff" when I heard Amelia yelp.....not unusual, she is a drama queen and yelps over everything.........but this was different. I heard alot of commotion and thought, good God the dogs are attacking her!! So I ran to the living room to find Willo in an absolute panic, tearing through the house with Amelia attached to her collar by her lower jaw. Amelia is screaming, Willo is running blind trying to throw Amelia off her & I realize Willo can't breath....the collar is strangling her!! So now I'm in a panic, I can't catch Willo, she is terrified, running. I was finally able to grab her, pick her up, with Amelia hanging off the collar, get her to the kitchen to cut off the collar. It was so tight I couldn't get the scissors under the collar to cut it. I finally managed to disentangle Amelia's jaw from the collar, which released it. Everyone was fine but me, I was shaking all over. They were a little shaken up, but not like me. I checked them both over to make sure they were in one piece & tried to calm myself. I didn't want to be sending out the "panicked" energy to them. I took them all outside for a romp in the yard & they seem back to normal. Marie sent me a link to a site that sells "break-away" dog collars, so I ordered 4. I am so glad I was home. If I had been out even for a short time it may not have been a happy outcome. I Always laughed at myself, because I put the puppy in her crate WHENEVER I leave the house no matter how short the time. Now I realize what a smart thing that is to do. By the end of the evening, after a VERY long nap, the 2 of them were back playing like nothing had ever happened. Willo DID NOT have her collar on. Well hopefully there will be no further excitement here, my heart has had enough of that for awhile. I don't know if anyone else has had an experience like this, but it was frightening. A very freak thing, who would have thought? Toodles for now, from a much calmer. Tricia.
Tricia, Greyson, Rose & Willo & Amelia (My Woofs in Sheeps Clothing)
Poor you, I can just imagine how terrifying it must have been to see the dogs crying and so panic stricken. As you say if it had happened while you were out poor Willo might have suffocated! I have never heard of anything like this happening before, could you let us have the link to the " break-away" collar site?

6 comments:

Marie said...

Lesley, here is the link:
http://www.breakawaycollar.com/index.cfm

I've heard of a similar story, although I cant remember who/where now.
Its certainly something to think about!

Marie said...

Here's a link to a UK stockist:
http://www.petsafety.co.uk/index.html

Tina W said...

Good ness Tricia-so glad that everything turned out well in the end-think your quick actions saved the day.

maureen said...

poor you and your dogs you would never expect that to happen, but you have proved it does thank goodness you are all o.k.i am going to look at the website when i have finished thanks.

joan said...

Another little problem similar to this came up when my pups were little, Petal jumped out of her cage at an angle and caught her toe in the hook that keeps the door locked at the bottom/front of the cage, she screaming and struggled making the whole thing more difficult, I was thinking that if I don't get her free she break her toe keeping the panic at bay,and having only one pair of hands, it took time to get her to calm down so that I could move her foot around to release it, bless her! don't they get over these things much faster than we do. joan

maureen said...

YES THINKING BACK one of my pups climbed up the puppy run and caught its teeth in the metal panel and was hanging in mid air screeming so i was lucky i was there and had to unhook it.