31 January 2010

Hello Everyone From Oracoke USA!

The weather here has turned to winter again. Rain and gales and snow up on the northern beaches. I am ready for this to be over. I had a bit of a scare Thursday night. On Thursday morning after she had her breakfast, Greyson vomited it all back up. I really didn't think too much about it, who's dog hasn't regurgitated soon after eating it? She acted fine, maybe a little sheepish, like she thought she had done something wrong, but she wanted to play fetch with her ball. At dinner time I decided to be cautious, and I only fed her a small amount of boiled rice. Within and hour, she threw that little bit up. My first thought was, I am going to have to run to the vet in the morning. She seemed a little subdued, but nothing unusual. At about midnight, she stood up and had that look about her, like she way going to be sick again, so I took her out on the porch. This time she just threw up some frothy stuff, but it was pink & that scared me. So I called my vet, I couldn't get a ferry until 5 am, as they don't run after midnight, until 5. At this time, she acted like she was in pain, trembling and not able to get comfortable. The vet told me to keep her calm and relaxed, so I sat up all night, she eventually relaxed and went to sleep, but not me. At 4:30 am we left for the ferry and met the vet at 7 am. Greyson was dehydrated, they took blood, did an x-ray, checked her stool, which had noticeable blood in it, although she never had a bowel movement that day. One good sign was the way she ran across the parking lot to greet the vet when she saw her. They kept her overnight on IV fluids and antibiotic. All her blood work came back normal, although her white blood cell out was slightly elevated, which indicated infection. The x-rays found nothing, except she had a lot of gas in her intestines. I was able to go and get her on Saturday afternoon. The vet said she thought she had HGE hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. There is no test for it, they don't know what causes it, but it can be fatal if not treated immediately with IV fluids. It happens in perfectly healthy dogs. The can be fine one minute and very sick the next. Because they don't know the cause, there is no preventive treatment. I have never seen or heard of this, but will certainly be alert about it in the future. Greyson is doing well. She was eating at the vet and the vomiting had stopped, so we will see how dinner goes tonight. I will be watching her like a hawk for the next week or so. Very scary stuff. Aside from that, I have had a very quiet week. Everyone else is fine. I have put some old photos on this laptop off my old computer, so I have new(even thought they are old) photos to share of my girls when they were little. The old desk top is dying a slow death, so a new computer is next on the "to buy" list. Hopefully next week I will be able to tell you that Greyson is back to her normal bouncy self. I don't think she got much rest at the vets. She made friends with 2 kittens and a parrot.......my vet said I need to take them home with me too! Try to say warm and dry.

Rose,_baby_Willo,_GreysonGoodness me Tricia, what a worrying time, you must have been frantic, it must have been so worrying and living on an island so far away from an emergency vet! Thank goodness she is home and now recovering. Hope you get new computer soon. You deserve a new toy!

10 comments:

victoria,mr bojangles and baby rose said...

sorry to here about greyson we hope she gets well soon

Trish said...

Greyson is eating well. She is on special I/D from Science Diet, it is a bland diet and she LOVES it!! She is on an antibiotic and probiotics as well. She isn't used to getting tinned food, so it is a real treat for her. She slept alot after she got home yesterday & she is still a little low key. Of course I have been on the computer reading everything I can find on this ailment. She is also loving all the extra attention she is getting.

J&T said...

So glad Greyson seems to be on the mend Trish. You must have been so very worried!
Though we know we will, in all probability outlive our canine family, it is so very traumatic when they become ill unexpectedly. You just have to be sure you make the most of having them around.
Jane xxx

patricia said...

Hi Trish, that so sounds like larry, and he went into hospital for a couple of days, and was finally diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, which he does get bouts of from time to time, he vomits and blood comes out of his bottom, no poo just blood, he trembles, and pants, before he was diagnosed I suggested to the vet he had what greyson has cos I was on the interenet, but I am sure he has had this from a pup, as he used to curl into a tight ball even on a walk and I had to carry him home, he is now on chicken only diet, with a sensitive dry food, and he is fine. but if he get stressed he gets it again., good luck hope his helps. apparently they can pick up this virus!!

Marie said...

That was a worry Trish, glad she is on the mend now.

karen said...

Hope greyson gets better soon, cute picture x

Tina W said...

Poor Greyson-glad to hear that she's a lot better now-fingers crossed that it was a once only thing.

Trish said...

The vet says she hasn't seen a reoccurance of this in other dogs she has treated. What I have read on the internet has various info on having it happen again. So I will be extra alert in the future. Greyson is back to her old bouncy self. I don't think she got much rest in the hospital. She also adopted 2 kittens and a parrot that my vet said I needed to take home for her! She was completely in awe of the parrot.

Anne said...

Mostly I envy you, living on your lovely island, but when you're a ferry ride from the vet it makes any emergency much more worrying. I'm so relieved Greyson is on the mend, and I look forward to reading accounts of how the parrot and kittens settle into their new home ;)

Trish said...

Parrot and kittens are still at the vet! The 7 critters I have are more than enough! They are always trying to get me to take something home with me. I don't do birds & already have 2 cats. No thank you!