07 March 2011

Hello from Tricia In the USA

Amelia,_good_girl[8]

I have started another wallpaper removal project in my kitchen. I planned to start it next winter, but I couldn't stop myself. At the rate the wallpaper is coming down, I may not be DONE until next winter. Amelia is who I want to talk about today to see if others have noticed such a dramatic change in their dog after being spayed. She was spayed in November,, and I noticed a change in her right away. She has always been very "touch sensitive", so I thought this would cause he a lot of discomfort and a lot of fussing at the incision. To my surprise it never happened. She seemed to bounce right back. Now I have had dogs for over 30 years, only one a male, so I have been through a lot of spays & I must say, she is the one that surprised me the most. I never noticed much change in my other dogs, but Amelia...,,before the spay, she was a very fussy eater. Some of you may remember my saying she had gone for a couple of days turning her nose up at food. Since the spay & I mean within a few days, she is sitting in her spot waiting to eat and never leaves a crumb. She has turned back into a puppy.....running through the house with toys, getting the other dogs involved in a game of chase, tug of war. Because she is eating regularly, she has put on some weight, which she needed to do. Her snowy white coat has noticeably darkened up and is getting darker by the month, she is looking like a proper coated blue bedlington. She was very late coming into her first season, 22 months old and her next season wasn't for another year. She was 3 years and 1 month when she was spayed. Now I am not complaining about this change in her, she is a precious, mischievous little critter and a ton of fun. I am just surprised at the really noticeable change. I am very happy about the eating, because none of us wants to have a fussy eater that you are never sure when they will go on a hunger strike. That is a big relief. I was just wondering if anyone else has had such big changes in their girls. Well, time for me to climb back on the grooming table (it makes an excellent ladder) and continue my scraping. Until next week...

Thank you Tricia, I have four girls and just one that is spayed. As she is nearly 15 I can’t remember if there was any change in her after the operation. All I can say is that she eats well but is still very trim and is not carrying any access weight. I was told weight gain could be a problem in older spayed bitches.
Be careful don’t fall off that grooming table!

3 comments:

patricia said...

Perhaps if she was touch sensitive, it maybe that she always was in a bit of discomfort not enough to notice too much but maybe a bit of a tummy ache etc. glad she is now so much better x

ed and rebecca said...

Good luck with the decorating , enjoy the new Amelia!x

rona griffin said...

we have also noticed a very marked diffrence in our tinker since she was spaid but not for the best . she has never chewed any thing but has now started chewing any thing leather, she is losing her fir and eats any food she can get to. newyears eve, i will never know how!but she stole a hugh joint of pork uncooked , i came down in the morning she was sat bolt up write with a huge belly, refusing to move. she was acting very strange and growling! not having any of it i got her of the settee only to find she was gaurding the remains, the bone ! but on a seriios side she has since been diagnosed with cushion deases.